Okay, so by now you’ve grown a few cannabis plants. You’ve tried a few different pre-mixed soils or just don’t have the time for feeding schedules and so on. There are lots of hidden grow tips and in-depth advice that just never really comes to the surface.
Like anything in life – you get what you put it. The more you put in the more you will get put, and the same goes for the soil you use when growing cannabis plants. In this blog, we take a look at “Super Soil” and how to mix your own.
Refers to a soil that has been pre-prepared to contain enough nutrients to support your cannabis plant throughout the entire duration of the growing process. This soil enables growers to lay back and not worry too much about pH and nutrients levels. This super soil mix will even allow you to skip the flushing process at the end of your flowering.
Now, this is no quick fix, to the contrary super soil may take slightly longer. Not to mention yielding slightly less. Also, a grower that isn’t careful could end up “burning” plants with super soil. However, many growers favor this method, which closely mimics the natural outdoor growing conditions of cannabis.
Making your own super soil mix:
Again, not a quick fix! In fact, requires lots of time, planning, and ingredients. Which goes without saying, the reason most people prefer to simply buy pre-made super soil. However, if your curious or wanting to try something new making your own super soil is possible and easy. The only difficult part is sourcing all the ingredients as well as waiting. Once the ingredients are mixed together you have to wait for the soil to compost first.
Cannabis plants main nutrients they need are Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, and Sulphur. But that’s not all, they also need macronutrients like Chlorine, Iron, Copper, Boron, Zinc, Molybdenum, Manganese. Granted, for optimum results, your cannabis will need different levels of these at different intervals in its life cycle. This soil mix is said to have kept this in mind.
Super Soil Ingredients:
Below is a list of the necessary nutrients and macronutrients needed for your cannabis super soil mix. Take a look at the following instructions to learn how to make super soil at home
*Tip: Organic is always better*
- 14 cubic feet or eight large bags of high-quality potting soil.
- 1 cubic foot of worm castings
- bone meal, 5 lbs
- fish bone meal, 5 lbs
- high phosphorus bat guano, 5 lbs
- blood meal, 5 lbs
- oyster shells, 3 cups
- kelp meal, 3 cups
- alfalfa meal, 3 cups
- 3/4 cups of Epsom salts
- 3/4 cups of agricultural lime
- Azymite, 2 cups
- granular hemic acid, 2 tbsp
- mycorrhizae/compost tea mix, 2 tablespoons
As well as:
- Tarp, kiddie pool, etc. that can be used for mixing large amounts of soil preferably without making a mess.
- Garbage Bins with Lids or Large sealable plastic drums.
- Base soil
- Large Mixing Bowl
How to Make your very own Super Soil:
- Combine all of the ingredients, thoroughly mix them together. Add water to the mixture just until it is moist. Not sopping wet or extremely damp just wet enough to allow for healthy humidity.
- Transfer the mixed ingredients into your garbage bins or containers. Ensure to put the lids on.
- Allow the mixture to sit in here for 45 to 90 days so that it can compost. Keep the garbage cans in a warm place for the duration of these days.
At the end of the composting period, you will have your super soil mix. You’re now ready to pot up to cannabis plants. By now you should have your seedling or cutting good to go for their final pot up. Your super soil is ready, it’s time to add it to your plant pots.
- Fill only the bottom 1/4 to 1/3rd of your pots with your super soil mixture.
In your separate mixing bowl, mix some base soil together with your super soil. Add some of this on top of your super soil mix. This is called the “buffer zone” and should be no more than a few inches deep.
- Fill the rest of the pot with your base soil and make a hole in the center of the soil. Transplant your cannabis plant into the soil with the utmost care.
So now, you’re ready to sit back and watch your cannabis plant thrive. For the rest of your cannabis plants life cycle, it will only require enough water regular water.